VICE PRESIDENT, MEDIA
The Vice President, Media is responsible for directing and managing the Ad Council’s outreach to more than 300 U.S. media companies, across all platforms, promoting our 40+ national public service campaigns and contributing to the $1B in donated media support secured annually. Responsibilities include strategic planning, business growth, consultative sales management, and internal leadership. The VP, Media reports to the Head of Media & Innovation and manages a team of six National Account Directors.
The ideal candidate is a best-in-class player-coach, accustomed to working in a high-energy environment where smart people do inspiring work. S/He will be experienced in navigating today’s complex media landscape, devoted to client and staff success, data-driven, highly-organized, and able to easily shift between strategy and execution. The ability to lead people, assess situations quickly, and forge collaborative and productive relationships inside and outside the company is essential. S/He must have a keen understanding of digital, mobile, emerging and traditional media, and the analytical skills to interpret/evaluate/act upon account performance, market information and media trends.
- Lead and coach the National Account team; provide strategic account counsel; interact with key clients; and identify, develop and execute new initiatives that drive donated media and strategic value for the Ad Council.
- Maintain ultimate accountability for the quality, strategy, and integrity of account outreach / campaign alignment, resulting in the cultivation of media client loyalty and retention.
- Collaborate with team to identify opportunities for growth within existing client accounts and present new ideas to clients on an ongoing basis.
- Own the suite of internally-built tools and reports, utilizing Salesforce, Smartsheet and Tableau, collaborating with the Analytics and IT teams to build upgrades and features to automate workflow and improve visibility into performance.
- Manage the donated media pipeline including forecasting and reporting on a quarterly and annual basis, deriving insights and recommending changes to account strategies and tactics.
- Assess media client trends, feedback, and market movement; consolidate into recommendations for the leadership team.
- In a structured approach, facilitate Media information flow and knowledge sharing forums across the Ad Council.
- Partner with Ad Council creative development and media planning teams to ensure alignment between strategy, planning, campaign creative, and media outreach.
- Work with company leadership to further the mission, goals and culture of the company, playing a lead role in understanding the changing media landscape and its impact on the Ad Council’s business model and positioning.
- Represent the Ad Council at industry events, conferences, and meetings with media clients and Board members.
Skills & Qualifications
- Extremely smart, entrepreneurial profile with strategic vision and strong bias to execute
- Demonstrated success in reaching / exceeding revenue goals
- Demonstrated expertise in consultative, solution selling and business development skills with ability to align the customer's business needs with our campaigns to drive media support
- Highly skilled in change management practices and driving organizational process improvements
- Demonstrated leadership in achieving shared objectives in a matrixed organization, coordinating projects and services across business and organizational boundaries, and building effective cross-functional teams
- Ability to generate big ideas with strong motivational skills that can apply to all staff levels
- Proven ability to work with colleagues in identifying pain points, business opportunities and relevant solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to thrive in a collaborative environment with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong demonstrated business acumen and executive presence
- The successful candidate will possess excellent judgment and business instincts, with the ability to prioritize and separate the important from the truly critical
- Importantly, the h/she will be able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment to identify issues in a timely manner, communicate them proactively to key stakeholders, and take the necessary steps to drive to a solution
- Proven ability to think strategically, with a balanced analytical and creative approach, and the ability to teach others to think strategically
- Flexibility for reasonable travel is required
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA is a plus
- 10+ years of experience across digital and national media with 5+ years of relevant new business development, consultative sales, an/or client services experience; agency experience a plus
- A minimum of 5 years of prior staff management, development and mentoring experience required.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, and presentation skills.
- High-level proficiency in MS Office, Salesforce, and Tableau required
- Professional/volunteer experience with social causes and/or corporate social responsibility a plus
- Multicultural media and/or millennial audience experience a plus
About The Ad Council
The Ad Council is a non-profit organization that represents a unique collaboration between the advertising, media, and business communities. Our mission is to identify a select number of significant public issues and stimulate action on those issues through communications programs that make a measurable difference in our society. To that end, the Ad Council marshals volunteer talent from the advertising and communications industries, the facilities of the media, and the resources of the business and non-profit communities to create awareness, foster understanding and motivate action. The Ad Council is headquartered in New York City with offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and San Francisco.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements and availability to http://www.adcouncil.org/Working-With-Us/Join-Us.
The Ad Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please submit your request through one of the following methods listed below:
Fax (212) 984-1905
or US Mail to the Advertising Council
Attn: Human Resources
815 2nd Avenue; 8th Floor
New York, NY 10017