Position: Director of Media, Social & Emerging
Department: Media Outreach
Location: San Francisco
Reports to: VP, Social & Emerging Media
The Director of Media, Social & Emerging Media, is an integral part of the Ad Council's Social & Emerging Media Outreach team and will be primarily responsible for managing partnerships with existing social & digital media partners and developing business with new, emerging media companies that will drive impact for the Ad Council's 40+ social impact campaigns.
The Ad Council Media Team is responsible for conducting outreach to more than 200 U.S. media companies, across all platforms, and securing over $1B in donated media support annually. We ideate, evaluate and develop custom, large scale social good partnerships with media companies to ensure our campaigns are seen by the intended audiences. These targeted partnerships allow us to drive the most impact in raising awareness on the nation's most pressing causes. Partnerships are an essential part of Ad Council's evolving media model because in addition to donated media, partnerships generate reach through earned, shared and owned media.
We utilize best-in-class traditional and digital strategies, platforms, partners, technologies and tactics to drive and maximize audience reach, targeting, creative solutions and impact for our campaigns. The media department identifies, develops, and supports initiatives that evolve the Ad Council business model to adapt to the changing media environment, ensure sustainable growth for the future, and foster a culture of innovation.
The Director of Media, Social & Emerging will assist Ad Council's VP of Media, Social & Emerging in San Francisco by overseeing partnerships with major platforms accounts including Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Snapchat. They are a subject matter expert in digital, mobile, and social media platforms and have a passion for social good. They have a track record of successfully building digital and/or social media partnerships and an ability to work well cross functionally. In addition to managing existing accounts, the Director of Media, Social & Emerging is also responsible for prospecting new and emerging media companies and discovering new, innovative ways to get our messages to the public. As important, they will help us say no, quickly (and often!) in order to focus on the right opportunities at the right time.
Candidates must be a self-starter and have strong consultative sales capabilities, a solid understanding of the social and digital media landscape, a collaborative and innovative spirit, and must be comfortable working within a fast moving, entrepreneurial environment.
• Manage day-to-day responsibilities with existing social & digital media partners including Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Snapchat which includes the development of large scale social good partnerships.
• Lead in identification, evaluation and development of new social and digital media platform technologies that will benefit the Ad Council and drive our mission forward.
• Set up meetings and establish relationships with key executives at media companies with the goal of securing donated media, building strategic partnerships and developing public facing case studies. Maintain ongoing communication with senior level contacts at each company.
• Work with Media Strategy team to identify campaigns that align with media properties based on their specific platform, content, target, or CSR initiatives.
• Monitor and track donated media and request self-reporting from media partners
• Collaborate across Ad Council departments, including Campaign Development, Research, Financial Development, Marketing and Communications, etc. to maximize opportunities for robust, collaborative partnerships and engagement.
• Identify trends in digital & social media and share learnings with the Ad Council
• Engage in a weekly 1-on-1 conversation with VP of Media, Social & Emerging to provide key learnings and developments of active media partnerships.
• Recognize key stakeholders within new media companies that would be worthwhile board leads and work with Ad Council’s Financial Development team to engage them in discussions to join Ad Council’s Board of Directors or Leadership Council
• Attend digital/mobile/social/tech conferences and share learnings with the Ad Council; some travel required
• Attend networking events to meet key executives in the digital space including venture capitalists.
• Bachelor's Degree
• 5+ years digital & traditional media/cross-platform sales experience with a track record of developing and executing successful strategic partnerships
• Experience working at a media agency in a media planning/strategy role is a plus
• Deep understanding of the digital & social media industry landscape (experience working with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, reddit and Snapchat is a plus)
• Experience in developing strategic partnerships and managing multiple projects simultaneously
• Great project management ability – organized and detail-oriented with a capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented, deadline-driven environment
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
• A proven ability to network and build relationships multi-level both internally and externally
• A proven ability to do both tactical work and set an overall strategy when working on a project
• A nimble business mind to operate in a quickly changing environment
• Ability to take initiative and own projects with innovative thinking and strong leadership skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with extreme attention to detail
• Experience working with Salesforce, Smartsheet and Microsoft Office
• Goal oriented, problem solver and team player.
• High energy, self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills
• Exercise good judgment; operate with warmth, a collaborative approach and ‘can do’ mindset
• Passion for causes, volunteering, and/or philanthropy a plus
The Ad Council is where creativity and causes converge at scale. We are a New York-based national non-profit organization, bringing together the brightest minds in the marketing, media, advertising and tech industries to create changed around the most critical social issues facing our country. The Ad Council initiates, produces and activates communications campaigns that drive awareness and behavior change, creating a lasting impact on American life. We produce content that ignites new ideas, increases the health, education, and safety of our nation, and literally saves lives.
We are behind the iconic social good communications programs featuring Smokey Bear, "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk" and the viral campaign "Love Has No Labels" that celebrates diversity and promotes inclusion. We work hand in hand with the leading non-profit organizations, government agencies, corporate brands and media companies to develop over 40 national social good campaigns each year including Suicide Prevention, Gun Safety, Bullying Prevention, STEM for Girls, Pet Adoption and Texting and Driving Prevention.
The Ad Council team uses all the tools in communications arsenal including developing PSAs and social media content, engaging talent, gaming, conducting media relations and grassroots marketing, and creating chat bots, digital and live events to raise awareness around social causes. We also have the opportunity to work with our Board of Director companies such as Amazon, Facebook, Google/YouTube, Vice and R/GA to leverage the latest tactics, tools and platforms that will have the most significant social impact.
At the Ad Council, we value and celebrate the unique characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity is the foundation of our work and allows us to reimagine how we reach our audiences. It is not simply our belief, but our duty, to cultivate a team that is representative of the American people. Only then can we drive true, measurable, and life-changing impact on the most important issues facing out country today.
The Ad Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital statue, age, national origin, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected status.
To apply online: https://www.adcouncil.org/Working-With-Us/Join-Us
The Ad Council invites all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact please submit your request through one of the following methods listed below:
Fax (212) 922-1676 or
US Mail to the Advertising Council
Attn: Human Resources
815 2nd Avenue; 9th Floor
New York, NY 10017